skip to main content

11

Print E-mail Facebook(Open New Window) Plurk(Open New Window) Twitter(Open New Window)
Historical Sites and Landscapes
Anping Fort: The Remnants of Taiwan Prefecture
Anping Old Fort

History

    In the early 17th century, Dutch military-business alliance troops conquered current-day Anping in 1624 and built Fort Zeelandia as a defense base. The construction was completed in 1634. In 1662, the 16th year of Emperor Yongli’s reign during the Ming Dynasty, after Zheng Chenggong (Koxinga) seized Fort Zeelandia, he renamed it as Anping Township, and turned the inner fort into government offices. The Taiwanese hence called it the Imperial City. During the Qing Dynasty, as Tai River was becoming silted, Anping Township lost its importance; with the Qing army demolishing Fort Zeelandia to build the Eternal Golden Castle, it was gradually abandoned. Fort Zeelandia was rebuilt after the Japanese occupation, and renamed as “Anping Fort” after Taiwan’s Retrocession. Today, the only remnants from the Dutch period are the southern brick walls in front of the outer fort. The deep-rooted banyan trees have experienced countless years of change and witnessed over 300 years of the ups and downs of the Tai River.

Timeline of Fort Zeelandia

1624  Fort walls were built on the old site of the bamboo fort on Yikunshen (the first sandbank). Due to the lack of bricks, they were initially built with sand and wooden planks, and the fort was known as Orange City.
 
1627  It was renamed as Fort Zeelandia, and the city walls were gradually rebuilt with bricks.
 
1633Fort Zeelandia was completed and became the early Taiwan Prefecture. The premises were 916 meters wide and over 10 meters  tall, consisting of 3 stories and surrounded by inner and outer walls.
 
1662:After Zheng Chenggong (Koxinga) seized Fort Zeelandia, it was renamed as Anping Township, and the inner fort was made into government offices. He stayed there for 5 months before passing away. The Taiwanese hence named it the “Imperial City”.
 
1823:As Tai River was becoming silted, the geographical location of the Imperial City gradually lost its importance.
 
1874:Japan used the Mudan Incident as an excuse to invade Taiwan, and the Qing court sent Shen Baozhen to strengthen Taiwan’s defense.
 
1895:Taiwan was ceded to Japan, and Anping became a sub-prefecture under the Tainan Prefecture.
 
1897:As there were insufficient dormitories for Anping’s customs officers, the Japanese leveled a portion of Fort Zeelandia and built a three-story brick platform on it.
 
1908:The white and cylindrical iron-cased lighthouse built on Anping quay during the Guangxu reign was relocated to the northwest direction of the brick platform. A dedicated guard was stationed at the tower to flash a beam every 4 seconds, guiding the ships on the sea.
 
1930:To celebrate “300 years of Taiwan culture”, the Japanese Governor demolished the official residences and houses around the brick platform, and renovated the mansion on the platform as an exhibition hall and a place for entertaining guests, which is the history exhibition hall of present day Anping Fort.
 
1935:Based on the “Fort Zeelandia” relics location map drawn by Shunichi Kuriyama, the Japanese acquired the houses to the west of Fort Zeelandia Museum, and carried out large scale excavation after demolishing them. They discovered the angular fort relics on the southwest of the fort, but the excavation stopped due to the Sino-Japanese War.
 
1975:In line with the tourism project, Tainan City Government renovated the environment and added a pointed roof on the observation tower, as well as painted the wall white; the place is the present day Anping Fort.
 

Visitor Information

Admission: Full Price NT$50; Discount NT $25
Opening Hours: 8:30A.M. to 5:30 P.M.

Historic Site Inquiries: (06)390-1341 / 295-5703
Anping Fort: (06)226-7348
Address: No. 82, Guosheng Rd., Anping Dist., Tainan City